Position is FILLED!
We Are Hiring!
Canada Summer Jobs; Summer Students
PASSIONATE ABOUT GRASSROOTS CLIMATE ACTION? LOVE LOCAL FOOD? WANT MEANINGFUL WORK? The Squamish Climate Action Network is seeking an enthusiastic, hard-working student intern:
A COMMUNITY FOOD PROGRAM ASSISTANT COORDINATOR.
The student will work with our program coordinators and the Squamish CAN Board to assist with Squamish CAN food and related programming over 9 weeks this summer.
Our Community Food Program Assistant Coordinator will be working directly with our program coordinators to assist in their duties and to conduct outreach in the community and at events.
Examples of activities you will be involved with include:
- Feast of Fields Fundraiser: Helping to develop and host our first ever farm-to-table fundraiser dinner at a farm in the Squamish Valley.
- Mamquam Edible Schoolyard: Planning and executing student lessons, garden tasks on site, community education events, volunteer recruitment, etc.
- CAN Grow Community Gardens: Assisting with coordinating work parties, landscaping, maintenance at garden site, planning and promoting garden workshops, volunteer recruitment and engagement
- Seed Library: hosting orientations, planning seed saving workshops, tidying the seed library, managing members
- Food Policy Council: Assisting with planning meetings and events, hosting community feedback sessions
- Food Education Series: Assisting with our free food workshops at Brennan Park, supporting our coordinator and workshop instructors, promoting the workshops, etc.
- Fruit Tree Project: Assisting with volunteer recruitment, attending fruit picks
- Zero Waste Action Team and Energy Groups: Assisting these committees in seasonal projects
- Social Media: writing content for our Facebook page, newsletter, and Instagram feeds
- Website: Assisting with tidying up our website and adding content about our programming
Compensation & Term:
These job placements are made possible by the Canada Summer Jobs program of the Government of Canada. The work term is from June 19th to August 31st for approximately 30 hours per week at $14.00 / hr.
Ø Have been registered as a full-time student in 2016/2017, and intend to return to school full-time in the 2017/2018 academic year.
Ø be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident, or have official refugee protection status, and be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Ø be between 15 to 30 years of age.
Ø Demonstrated time management and organization skills, and proven ability to work in fast-paced environments and prioritize tasks.
Ø Highly resourceful, creative and self-directed; able to work in a team as well as independently.
Ø Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, including experience writing & presenting clear, concise reports, and engaging press releases.
Ø Conversant in general computer skills including updating social media and websites (WordPress), using MS Office, Google Drive, etc.
Ø Access to reliable transportation and willingness to travel throughout Squamish. Access to a computer, internet and telephone and able to respond to communications in a timely manner.
Ø Experience with fundraising and event planning.
Ø Experience planning and coordinating public programs such as workshops, educational events, celebrations and/or community dialogues.
Ø Knowledgeable about local food systems, community capacity building and community sustainability/resiliency.
Squamish CAN is a community action group that operates many environmental projects in Squamish, British Columbia, Canada.
Our Mission: Squamish CAN strives to educate, support, and empower the community of Squamish by developing, promoting, and implementing sustainable strategies to mitigate climate change.
Our Vision: Squamish CAN envisions a future with sustainable communities growing together. Through local initiatives we are actively cultivating a green future for the Sea-to-Sky Corridor and beyond.
Squamish CAN is directed by an 11 person board, and currently employs 5 other part-time staff. For more information please visit www.squamishcan.net.
How to Apply:
The application deadline is Wednesday May 24, 2017. Please send a cover letter and resume, including names, email addresses and phone numbers of 2 references by email to: email@example.com
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.